SCHOOL OF HEALTH SCIENCES AT BUIB
The Faculty of Health Sciences is dedicated to achieving excellence and advancing health through leadership in education in the health sciences, discovery, innovation, research and exemplary health delivery services.
To ‘Touch a Billion’ lives for the next phase of development
Department of Nursing
|1.||Direct BSc. in Nursing||4 years|
|2.||Geriatric Nursing||1 year|
|3.||State Registered Nursing||3 years|
|4.||HND in Nursing||3 years|
|5.||Top Up BSc. in Nursing||1 year|
To train highly qualified nurses capable of providing holistic high quality nursing care in diverse clinical situations locally, nationally and internationally.
At the end of the three year and four – year programme, the graduate nurse should be able to:
- Practice skilled, personalised, dynamic and comprehensive holistic nursing care in any clinical setting.
- Apply the nursing process in planning nursing care for clients in the hospital and community setting
- Utilise scientific principles in the problem solving process to nursing action in hospitals, communities and other settings where health care is provided.
- Exercise sound clinical judgement when making decisions on behalf of the client assigned to his or her care
- Demonstrate leadership and management skills in the coordination of nursing care delivery and when assuming the team leader position
- Demonstrate professional ethics and moral judgement in patient care decisions and relationships with professional colleagues. Exhibit professional ethnics and inter-disciplinary accountability in patient care.
- Demonstrate leadership and management competencies and also;
- Co-ordinate delivery of high quality and holistic care.
- Conduct basic nursing research for the improvement of nursing care in hospitals and community settings.
Department of Midwifery
|1.||Direct BSc. In Midwifery||4 years|
|2.||HND in Midwifery||3years|
|3.||State Registered Midwifery||3 years|
|4.||Top Up BSc. in Midwifery||1 year|
With a mission to educate and inspire leaders in the profession of midwifery, the department offers a unique direct-entry program that will train you in all aspects of midwifery care, preparing you to greatly improve the quality and breadth of maternity care offered to women and new families.
One of The first regionally accredited, articulated, direct-entry HND and Bsc. in Midwifery degree in the country, BUIB program is distinct for its exceptional clinical training. You will train with preceptors in a variety of clinics, homebirth settings, birth centers and hospitals in Cameroon and overseas.
The program, which is intended for entry-level midwifery students, qualifies you to become a state licensed and nationally certified midwife.
The Department of Midwifery educates midwives to conform to national and international standards of midwifery competence and to do the following:
- Practice autonomously in a variety of settings, which may include homes, birth centers, clinics and hospitals
- Promote birth as a normal process requiring a minimum of intervention
- Function within the health care system, consulting and referring appropriately
- Qualify for licensure or registration in a variety of jurisdictions, including certification by the State Registered Midwives (SRM)
- Promote midwifery through state, provincial and national professional organizations, the political process, research activities and policy development
- Work in partnership with the women you serve in a way that promotes personal responsibility, validates knowledge and experience and encourages lifelong learning
- Promote the Midwives Model of Care
Department of Allied Health
|1.||HND in Medical Laboratory Sciences||3years|
|2.||Direct BSc. in Medical Laboratory Sciences||4 years|
|3.||Direct BSc. in Physiotherapy||4 years|
|4.||Emergency Health Technician||1year|
|5.||Environmental Health Technology||1year|
|7.||Top Up in Medical Laboratory Sciences||1year|
Our mission is to advance the scientific knowledge of the student through quality research and teaching. All these will be done while collaborating with other universities and the community in key areas of health. We shall contribute to the development of health policies at the local, national and international levels.
This programme is to train competent medical laboratory scientists. It entails exposing the students to multi-disciplinary Biomedical Science Subjects. Its essential aim is to study the epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and control of endemic diseases in the community.
Department of Public health and Administration
|1.||HND in Nutrition and Dietetics||3 years|
|2.||Medical Secretarial Practice||1 year|
|3.||Medical Equipment Repairs||1 year|
|4.||Occupational Health and Safety||1 year|
|5.||Health Care Quality Control Management||1 year|
|6.||Community Health Work||1 year|
|7.||Food and Hygiene Safety||1 year|
Our mission is to improve health care through the training of public health experts on common communicable and environmentally related diseases, including non-communicable health conditions of public health interest. Candidates acquire elaborate knowledge on project proposal development and implementation, epidemiological trends and monitoring of common health conditions, including knowledge on research and the distribution of health resources.
Department of Pharmaceutical Studies
|2.||HND in Pharmacy Technology||3years|
|4.||Medical Sales Representation (Post Graduate program)||1 year|
To improve health through innovation and leadership in pharmacy education, clinical practice and research.
- To maintain our ranking as one of the top Schools of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in the Cameroon
- To provide quality education to pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences students at all academic levels, using best-practices and evidence-based educational approaches, enabling our graduates to advance their professions
- To be a leader in education, research, practice and service
- To be a respected institution that advances basic, clinical and translational research
- To meet and improve society’s health, wellness, and health care
- To advance pharmacy practice, including interprofessional team-based models
- To provide an academic environment that promotes effective mentoring, professional growth and development and life-long learning
- Excellence and integrity in teaching, research, practice and service
- Embodiment of the highest ethical standards in our education, research, practice and service activities with the expectation our graduates will do the same as the next generation of leaders in their professions
- Establishment of a learning environment that embraces diversity, inclusiveness, equity and respect for all persons
- Organizational values that promote and reward critical thinking and continuous quality improvement