Welcome to the School of Management Sciences of Biaka University Institute of Buea (BUIB)
Welcome to the School of Management Sciences of Biaka University Institute of Buea, where you will find a community devoted to preparing students with the knowledge, skills, tools, and experience for careers and successes in the business world. Rigorous academics, career-focused professional development, mentorship, and participation in extracurricular activities are fused to create the Needed Experience at the School of Management Sciences.
Ready to work with the best? Our faculty are passionate about teaching and are recognized for quality scholarship and dedicated service to their students and to the community. They strive to keep their classrooms interesting, current, and dynamic with a focus on the practical application of business theory to real world problems. We have a multidisciplinary package which makes our students not only to develop expertise in their business discipline, but also the capacity to think critically, communicate clearly, and solve complex problems. This combination of skills prepares graduates for success in the global marketplace.
Want more than a solid curriculum? Your business education extends well beyond the classroom with opportunities like study abroad, student organizations, industrial visits, internships and many more. Our students compete in national and international academic competitions. The school partners with national and international universities and corporate bodies. These are relevant for your exposure.
Looking to your future? Career Services has a staff of career development professionals who will help you research career opportunities in your field, create a professional resume and cover letter, and develop critical interviewing skills.Our network stays engaged by guest speaking engagements on campus, hosting networking events at their firms, mentoring on careers, and sponsoring internships.
Not sure business is your thing? Whether your passion is music, theater arts, healthcare, sports, or a communication discipline, there’s a business aspect to every profession. Students from other disciplines can explore the business behind their calling with an exploratory course or even a complimentary business minor.
Excited? So are we! If you are searching for a school with engaged faculty, a solid foundation, and real-world experiential learning, you’ve found your home at the School of Management Sciences of BUIB. Make a choice now by choosing among our interdisciplinary programs which include; Accounting and Finance, Taxation, Banking and Finance,Insurance and Risk Management, Management,Marketing, Events and Conferences Management, Supply Chain Management, Tourism and Hotel Management, Human Resources Management and Health Care Management.
The content and quality of our programs and teachings are world class. These are reflected in various innovative courses and teaching practices which focus on real-world industry and business simulations. In addition to conventional classes, you will have plenty of opportunities to take part in industrial visits, internships, and periods of study at other partner universities. These will all prepare you for the challenges that the global economy of today brings with it.
Our doors are opened to you at all times to make your dreams become realities.
This is the place where business embraces technology; so, our graduates are business educated, applications focused and success driven!
The School of Management Sciences of Biaka University Institute of Buea offers to run a series of direct three years Bachelor’s Degree programs in a number of business related disciplines. These programs are focused on professionalization and put more emphases on work related courses that can lead to on the job capacity building as well as training and developing skills that are job biased and soft skills that are immediately needed in the daily activities of corporate bodies, international organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations and the wider public sector.
After a market needs assessment conducted by the School of Management Sciences of Biaka University Institute of Buea, it has been realized that direct Bachelor’s Degree programs are the most sort for programs by industries, parents and students. Given the status of the University, the School has developed these programs so as to meet the expectations of the public at large. These programs are tailored to meet specific labour market needs which are currently in acute shortage in our economy in particular and the global economy in general. These tailored made direct Bachelor’s Degree programs are in the areas of;
- Supply Chain Management,
- Accounting and Finance,
- Banking and Finance,
- Insurance and Risk Management,
- Events and Conferences Management,
- Tourism and Hotel Management,
- Human Resource Management,
- Health Care Management.
These disciplines are rarely found in the curricula of other national and international universities but the skills are highly needed in various industries nationally and internationally on daily bases, implying job availability for graduates. Graduates could become entrepreneurs themselves.
The programs have been developed taking into considerations the professional needs of the industry and programs of other universities and professional bodies around the world. In this way, graduates of these programs will find a perfect fit in industry and other universities and professional bodies globally. The programs are expected to produce graduates that are competitive in the job market and in various business domains nationally and internationally. These programs are thus comparable to those of other high caliber business schools or faculties of management or business studies around the world and the contents are very rich in theory and practice with lots of emphasis on practice.
The main entry requirements include a pass at the GCE Ordinary and Advanced Levels OR Baccalaureate in relevant disciplines, professional certificates that are recognized as equivalent and relevant working experience. In order to graduate, students are expected to validate a minimum of 180 Credits. These are composed of core or compulsory courses, elective courses and university requirements.
Tuition fees is program specific implying that students should check the fee structure of their specific programs rather than think of standard fees. The fee structure is composed of students’ related activities, registration and tuition with the tuition fees varying depending on the nationality of the student.
For students to be admitted into the programs, they need to be holders of at least four papers at the GCE Ordinary Level and a Pass at the GCE Advanced Level. Students with Baccalaureate in any discipline also qualify to enroll in the programs. Students with other certificates judged by the school as equivalent to the GCE Ordinary and Advanced Levels shall also be admitted. A pass in two papers at the ACCA qualification will be taken as Advanced Level Equivalence but the students will need to meet the Ordinary Level requirement. Students with other professional certificates will be considered for admission on individual basis. Advanced certificates will be considered for advance placement of students into year two or three but these students will need to meet the normal admission requirements.
OPPORTUNITIES OPENED TO GRADUATES OF THE PROGRAMS
After gaining the completion certificates, students will have a world of opportunities available to them all round the globe.
- Progress to the higher level qualifications while working. With the qualifications, students have the possibilities to continue with further studies in various national universities and abroad. It makes it possible for students to secure lucrative jobs and to study simultaneously.
- Progression to other universities around the world. With recognition at various universities around the world, the qualifications are truly passports to global opportunities. Universities in across North America, Europe and Australia/New Zealand recognize the Graduate qualification towards advanced standing in their professional and academic programs.
- Progression to Professional Qualifications around the globe like the AAT, ACCA, AIA, CIMA, CPA, CIB, CIM, CIPFA, CII, etc. Membership opens doors to successful careers in accounting, finance, banking and management consulting. ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CIM, etc holders are renowned for their technical abilities and strategic insights around the world. The qualifications will provide students with exemptions, allowing them to earn their ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CIM, etc qualification much faster.
- With the main focus on practical skills and knowledge, the programs prepare students for a fast-paced career in the world of business and related fields. Students will gain real-life work experience to complement their academic knowledge and to make them stand out in the competitive job markets.
- The opportunities to participate in internships allow students to put their new knowledge and abilities to practice in the real world. Gaining strong work experience with leading organizations will help set students apart from the competition, allowing them to achieve their career goals much quicker.
- When coupled with comprehensive career support from workshops that will be organized, students will quickly see their career potentials increase. Benefits from individual career advice, seminars, workshops, mock interviews, resume surgery and more.